When it comes to maintaining good dental health, most of us know the drill (no pun intended). You’re supposed to brush twice a day, floss once a day, and schedule regular cleanings/checkups with your dentist about once every six months.
Unfortunately, creating (and sticking to) this routine is often easier said than done, especially when you’re young and have a lot going on in your life.
But prioritizing your oral health is more important than many people realize. Not only does it help prevent tooth decay and gum disease, but it can actually play an important role in your overall health as well.
Getting into a routine and establishing a good relationship with a dentist you trust is well worth the time and effort, and you’ll thank yourself later.
So, what exactly do dentists do?
Modern technology and contemporary techniques allow today’s dentists to focus more on health and prevention than ever before.
At Austin Dental, we’re proud to be leading the way in high-tech and comfortable care. We believe going to the dentist should always be a pleasant and positive experience. We value our patients’ comfort and convenience and we always prioritize trust, transparency, and exceptional care.
We focus on helping you look and feel your best with services like teeth whitening and Invisalign treatment, along with preparing you for a life of good health, free of gum disease and tooth loss.
Your first appointment
What to expect
Your first appointment is all about getting to know you. We strive to minimize anxiety by making it a friendly and welcoming experience. Here’s what you can expect at your initial visit:
- We’ll take x-rays
- You’ll get a cleaning
- We’ll examine your teeth and gums
- You’ll have time with your dentist to ask questions and discuss your health and any concerns you have
- We’ll develop a care/treatment plan, and talk about financial issues, too
Investing in your health
At Austin Dental, we strive to be as transparent and upfront as possible, and that’s true when it comes to your treatment options and the cost of care.
When it comes to dental insurance, we’re “non-contracted” also known as being “out of network”. So as long as your policy allows you the freedom to choose your provider, we’ll be happy to help with your claim. But dental insurance often isn’t all it’s cracked up to be, and we have a variety of payment options for patients who don’t have insurance, including pre-payment discounts and financing.
One of the very best things you can do for your teeth, gums, and overall health is to maintain a good dental hygiene routine, and that starts at home. Here are a few of our top tips for maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile:
- Follow the 2×2 brushing rule – brush for 2 minutes 2x a day.
- Floss daily – flossing removes plaque from the areas your toothbrush can’t reach.
- Visit your dentist 2x a year – routine checkups and professional cleanings are essential for maintaining healthy teeth and gums.
- Consider whitening treatments – brightening up your smile can be a major confidence boost! After all, your smile can have a big impact on your overall appearance and how you present yourself to the world. Over-the-counter whitening strips may seem convenient, but they require longer and more frequent use to achieve a comparable result. In-office whitening treatments produce far better results in just a few days.
- Talk to your dentist about Invisalign – don’t let crooked teeth negatively impact your self-confidence. Ask your dentist about the Invisalign treatment system. The clear aligners straighten your teeth more quickly and conveniently than traditional braces, and they’re removable, so they make brushing, flossing, and eating much easier.